Ph.D. Admissions FAQ

Below are common questions from prospective students applying to the UConn Ph.D. in Psychological Sciences. Please visit our graduate admissions page for details about application deadlines and requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go to fill out the application?

The University uses an online application system that is managed by the Graduate School. The application for fall opens in mid-September. You can find information on our Ph.D. programs and the process for applying on our graduate admissions page.

What are the general characteristics of students who are admitted to your program?

Our Department takes a holistic approach to reviewing applications. The faculty carefully review all aspects of each admission file (i.e., GPA, recommendation letters, personal statement, etc.).

Download the Department's graduate admissions statistics to learn more about the characteristics of students admitted to our program.

Are GRE scores required?

The GRE is not required for applications. GRE scores will not be considered for any applicants. If you previously took the GRE, scores may appear and are not be removeable.

How many letters of recommendation are allowed?

Applicants are required to submit three letters of recommendation. If you have more than three, please add a fourth letter within the application portal.

If your letters of recommendation are not submitted or do not arrive by the deadline, this will not hinder the process by the Graduate School. Make sure to list the email address of your recommender within the application portal. Have the recommender check their spam folder if they do not initially receive an email notification.

What is the program format?

The Ph.D. program is full-time on the Storrs campus. Students are expected to work full-time toward their degree except for assignments related to their coursework such as assistantships or internships. Courses are not offered online or at regional campuses.

Do I have to be on campus for the program?

Yes. All our programs are full time. Graduate classes are in person on the Storrs campus. Graduate research type, location, and mode varies across programs. Housing is not provided, however there are apartments for rent near the campus or in nearby towns.

Is there funding available for the Ph.D. programs?

The majority of our graduate students are granted a graduate assistantship that includes a tuition waiver and a living stipend. Students are still responsible for paying University fees. Funding details are included when applicants receive an offer of admission. Assistantships (teaching or research) are not based on financial need and are typically determined by the program and the faculty member admitting the student. Learn more about graduate funding and support in the Department of Psychological Sciences.

Do I need a bachelor’s degree to apply?

Yes. You need the equivalent of a United States four-year bachelor degree.

Do I need a bachelor’s degree in psychology to apply to UConn’s Ph.D. program in psychological sciences?

No, applicants are not required to have an undergraduate degree in psychology. However, it is recommended to have some psychology coursework. The degree of which this is important is under the discretion of your concentration. Please contact the director of your program of interest to inquire about this further.

Do I need to have a master’s degree?

A master’s degree is not required. All our psychological sciences Ph.D. concentrations are full time, and most of the students in our concentrations complete a master’s degree as part of their Ph.D. program. Students entering the program with a master’s degree may have some class requirements waived. What classes are waived, if any, will be determined on an individual basis.

Does UConn offer a master’s degree in psychological sciences?

UConn does not offer a formal master’s degree in psychological sciences. UConn Ph.D. students in psychological sciences earn a master’s degree along the way to completing their doctoral degree. Only on rare occasions will faculty accommodate students with exceptional circumstances and allow them to pursue a terminal master’s degree.

How long does it take to complete the Ph.D. program?

Typically, the program five to six years to complete.

I am in financial need; can I apply for an application fee waiver?

Applicants can get their application fee waived if they are involved in any of the organizations and partnerships listed on the Graduate School’s website.  If you are not eligible for a fee waiver from The Graduate School, you may apply to the director of your concentration of interest to request an application fee award.

Unfortunately, the Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program does not currently offer application fee waivers. For all other concentrations, applicants must first reach out to their faculty of interest via email. If the faculty approves of the fee waiver request, send an email to to follow up with the next steps.

Note that fee waivers are not guaranteed and must be requested well in advance before the application deadline.

Can I submit unofficial transcripts, or are official transcripts required?

If you are an international applicant, official transcripts are required and must be sent to The Graduate School. If you are a domestic or natural citizen, then unofficial transcripts are acceptable.

Which faculty members are accepting new students?

Faculty taking on new students are listed within the application process. If you are interested in studying under a specific faculty member, you can check out the Department of Psychological Sciences faculty directory. If the faculty member is not taking new students, it will say so at the bottom of the page.

Can I check on my recommendations within the application to make sure it went through?

Yes. Within the application portal, you can check and send reminder emails to the individuals uploading their recommendations.

What types of documents are required for the essay portion?

Documents such as papers from previous courses, research thesis, lab papers, are all acceptable for the essay portion.

Will you still accept my application if it is not complete by the deadline?

We do not refuse applications that are not complete by the application deadline. If transcripts or letters of recommendation are received after the deadline, they will be included in the application when they are received. Although missing application materials will be accepted after the deadline, please be aware that space is limited in the psychological sciences Ph.D. program; therefore, any significant delay in submitting application materials could affect your chances of being admitted.

Individual admissions committees will decide when to review incomplete applications. Committees may begin reviewing applications any time after the application deadline passes. If the application is reviewed prior to receipt of missing items, the application may not receive a second review once missing items are received.

Once I submit my application, am I able to make any changes to my application materials?
Once your online application is submitted to The Graduate School, the application is considered final and the Department does not make any changes to the application materials submitted. You are welcome to email the faculty advisor(s) you selected in the online application and inform them of any updates (e.g. awards, presentations, writing samples, certificates, publications etc.) you would like to share with them.

When will I hear back about an admissions decision?

You will hear back with a formal decision by April 15 each year. Once a decision has been made by the Department of Psychological Sciences and approved by the Graduate School, the applicant will receive an email asking them to log in to the online application system to view the decision on their application.

Can I take courses as a non-degree student?

Prospective applicants who have not been admitted to a degree program at this University may take courses as a non-degree student although this will not guarantee admission at a later date. For more information on registering as a non-degree student, please contact the Office of the Registrar.