Jeffrey D. Burke
Ph.D., 1997, University of Connecticut
Dr. Burke’s interests involve understanding the etiology, developmental course and outcomes related to oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. His work includes a focus on irritability as a component of oppositional defiant disorder, which raises the risk for the development of depression and anxiety in some people. His interest also include:
- The development of the disruptive behavior disorders
- Chronic irritability and outcomes of depression and anxiety
- Treatment and service engagement related to disruptive behavior disorders
- Developmental Psychopathology
- Evidence Based Methods
- Practicum in Child Psychotherapy
Derella, O. J., Burke, J. D., Romano-Verthelyi, A. M., Bertschinger, E. & Johnston, O. G. (2020). Feasibility and acceptability of a brief cognitive-behavioral group-based intervention for chronic irritability in youth. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 25, 778-789. doi: 10.1177/1359104520918331
Johnston, O. G., Cruess, D. G. & Burke, J. D. (2020). Irritability and behavioral symptom dimensions of oppositional defiant disorder in young adults: Associations with DSM-5 pathological personality traits. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 42, 424-435. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10862-020-09786-8
Derella, O. J., Burke, J. D., Stepp, S. D. & Hipwell, A. E. (2020). Reciprocity in undesirable parent–child behavior? Corporal punishment, verbal aggression, and oppositional defiant symptoms in girls. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 49, 420-433. DOI: 10.1080/15374416.2019.1603109
Waldman, I., Rowe, R., Boylan, K. & Burke, J.D. (2018). External validation of a bifactor model of oppositional defiant disorder. Molecular Psychiatry. DOI: 10.1038/s41380-018-0294-z
Evans, S. C., Burke, J. D., Roberts, M. C., Fite, P. J., Lochman, J. E., de la Peña, F. R., Reed, G. M. (2017). Irritability in child and adolescent psychopathology: An integrative review for ICD-11. Clinical Psychology Review, 53, 29-45.
Burke, J. D. & Loeber, R. (2016). Mechanisms of behavioral and affective treatment outcomes in a cognitive behavioral intervention for boys. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 44, 179-189.
Burke, J. D., Boylan, K., Rowe, R., Duku, E., Stepp, S. D., Hipwell, A. E., Waldman, I. (2014). Identifying the irritability dimension of ODD: Application of a general bifactor model across five large community samples of children. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 123, 841-851.
Burke, J. D., Loeber, R., Lahey, B. B. & Rathouz, P. J. (2005). Developmental transitions among affective and behavioural disorders in adolescent boys. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 46, 1200-1210.
Honors and Awards
- Member, ICD-11 Field Studies Working Group on Disruptive Behaviour and Dissocial Disorders, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
- Reviser, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-5-TR); Disruptive, Impulse Control and Conduct Disorders: Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Editorial Board, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
- Consulting Editor, Journal of Abnormal Psychology